You’re probably starting off by reading this and thinking, why only 10? Well, to start off, I do look for more than 10 things but to be honest I could be here all day writing off everything I look for when I go thrifting. My main goal is to fill my home with cool & unique pieces. Pieces that tell a story with its appearance and feel. I love how vintage items make a home feel a little more lived in. Its that items way of telling us it has a story a past and a future.
I usually make a system when I go to any thrift store and sometimes I just go in to get some mental clarity and search for random things. But my main spots to visit in any thrift store is the home decor section and kitchen. I find so many gold items in these two departments. I then like to hit up the books & furniture section.
Ever since I was a little girl I always had this fascination with vintage styled decor. I’ve always loved thrifting and finding treasures so as an adult I carry this with me and I’m so happy that I do because we now learn so many wonderful things about thrifting. It’s environmentally conscious and it recycles old things into new things.
10 Things To Thrift
- Solid Brass Frames
- Wicker Baskets | Sometimes I spray paint them if the colour looks to drab
- Ornate Frames
- Old Styled Books | Side note; for newer books I remove the covers to give a more vintage look
- Rattan Anything | Because rattan and wicker are very popular right now
- Prints | I love prints of older style and landscapes
- Brass Candle Sticks | If they’re looking a little to worn, I use a gold/brass spray paint and touch them up a little
- Cake Stands & Serving Dishes | Pottery is another favourite to find
- Vintage Canisters | Some of the older styles and colours are killer. These can get so expensive brand new to
Now, a few things I look for when I also go…
CAN I REUSE
CAN I GIVE THIS NEW LIFE
All of these run through my head, can I give it new life with paint or use pieces of it for something else? Sometimes I like ornate frames but not love the print so I will remove the print and add in my own.
When you go really use you’re creative mind and imagination. It can be so much fun and it gives me such a brain break searching around for gems!
Keisha Lynne, xx