It’s very important to understand what to do if you small natural gas in your home. Making sure you make all that right steps and precautions so this doesn’t happen in your home is right here for you. If by some chance it doesn’t happen to you, can you fully admit that you are prepared, you know what to look out for and what to do?? I’m very thankful for a handy husband and for the education that FortisBC has given us about Gas Safety.
As a family we’re always making sure we’re up to date and know what to look for when it comes to natural gas leaks. My husband is always on top of things, which had me thinking… Do I know what to look for or know what to do if I smelled natural gas when he wasn’t home? I really started to make sure that I read and researched everything I could to help myself. I followed him around our home and made sure I knew of the possibilities of where a leak could come from.
I think that it’s really important and handy to know what to do when you smell natural gas. Just having that peace of mind helps our family feel safe. Thankfully FortisBC has given and provided a lot of information and resources to help us out! Natural gas is a sneaky one as it’s odourless and colourless, trace amounts of a chemical called mercaptan that smells like rotten eggs is added to help you detect a potential natural gas leak.
So let’s get started on a few things. Now that you kind of have an understanding of natural gas safety, let’s talk more on what to do if you smell rotten eggs, and some precautions to help you before you smell it!
Know What To Do If You Smell Natural Gas:
- Before anything right now what your sitting on the computer research and watch some great videos courtesy of FortisBC http://bit.ly/GasOdour they have been a huge resource for our family.
- If you or a loved one smells rotten eggs, stop what you’re doing
- Leave your home
- Call FortisBC’s 24 hour emergency line 1-800-663-9911 or 911
Taking measures before you detect natural gas is the best idea for all homeowners. Our family has gone through all the steps and listed what we have done below just to be sure.
Things To Do Before You Smell Natural Gas:
- Do your research make sure you read articles like this one or watch videos just to help educate yourself and your family.
- Get annual maintenance on all your natural gas appliances and equipment
- Write up “what to do” and emergency contact numbers for when you’re not home and a babysitter may be home or the kids are alone.
As long as you’re keeping up to date with your home inspections, resources and know what to do you’ll feel better as a parent. It can happen to anyone, knowing you’ve taken the right measurements and used the resources available from FortisBC will give you peace of mind!
Photography By Rebecca Lynn Photography
Keisha Lynne, xx